Wednesday, 7 October 2015

TAG // THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF BOOK TAG


Hey guys! How are you? Today, I'm going to be doing a tag. And, if you don't follow me on Twitter, and you should, then you won't see my updates on Ross County and on a Wednesday night, The Great British Bake Off. For anyone who has no idea what I'm on about, GBBO, as it is shortened to, is a competition in which twelve people go head to head for ten weeks until one is crowned the winner. The weeks are normally themed, such as cake, and it is such a good programme. Tonight is actually the final, come on Nadiya or Tamal! And to coincide with the final, I thought I would do the Great British Book tag which was created by Jack from the YouTube channel ReadingWithJack. (Watch the original here) I'm going to tag Sofia and Arianne to do this as they both tweet about GBBO when it's on! Let's get started.

Week One: CAKE. The cake has sunk in the middle. Pick a book that didn't rise to your expectations.

I chose This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith. I went into this book with such high expectations because it sounded like the sort of book I would have loved and a lot of my friends really enjoyed it but once I started to read it I did like it much. I didn't connect with the characters and I didn't like them much, I thought it was slightly obvious and a bit cliché and I DFN'ed it because I wasn't enjoying it.







Week Two: BISCUITS. Once you've eaten one, you're hungry for more and each time you eat another, they get more and more delicious. Pick a book series or trilogy that got progressively better.

I picked the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. I really love this series and these books just got better and better. The characters, the writing, the settings and just everything improved as the series went on. It had to be this trilogy.

Special mention : The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer



Week Three: BREAD. Kneading dough requires hard work and determination. Pick a book that you put off reading for ages and needed a lot of determination to pick up.

I chose The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I tried to read this when it came out in 2012 and I couldn't get into it at all. From then on I just kept telling myself to read it but kept putting it off until this last summer when I was in a mood for some J.K. Rowling and picked it up. I'm so glad I did though, because it is such a good book, but it definitely took a lot of determination to pick it up.




Week Four: DESSERTS. Foreign deserts such as crème brûlée and Spanische Windtorte are on the menu. Pick a book set in a foreign country.

I picked Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I love, love, love this book. It's set in Paris for the most part, with only a wee bit in America. I love the character's and the plot and the romance and it's just so perfect. This book has made me want to visit Paris about three thousand times more than before. Love it!

Special Mention: Just One Day + Just One Year by Gayle Forman. 






Week Five: ALTERNATIVE INGREDIENTS. Not usually used, but surprisingly good. Pick a book from a genre you normally wouldn't read but ended up loving. 

I chose Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I rarely read graphic novels but I read this one and absolutely loved it. I'm not going to say any more on this books though, because I have a possibly graphic if it works, review for this and another graphic novel going up in November, so you can read my thoughts then.







Week Six: PASTRY. Shortcrust pastry can crumble easily. Pick a character who you initially liked, but as you read more and more, your relationship with them crumbled apart.



I picked Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I love the Wolves of Mercy Falls series and I really like all of the characters but, during Linger, I found Grace to be so annoying. I got pissed off at her a lot. I made up with her in the third book, and I loved her in the first book, but in this one she just bugs me. Our relationship crumbled apart, but we fixed it. I patched things up with Grace like the bakers do with their pastry.





Week Seven: VICTORIAN / OLD-FASHIONED BAKES. Recipes from the past that still taste delicious today. Pick your favourite classic novel.

I chose my favourite book of all time for this, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I adore this book. It's my favourite book, I reread every Christmas. I love all the characters and can see bits of myself in each of them, and I just feel at home with the March sisters. This is definitely my favourite classic. 










Week Eight: PATISSERIE. You're eating a chocolate éclair but there's barely any filling inside. Pick a book that lacked substance and fell flat. 

I chose the first two books in the Fallen series by Lauren Kate which are Fallen and Torment. Honestly, I really dislike both of these books, and I can't quite remember which of them fits the cookie cutter for this question but one of them does. I found the main character to be annoying, the romance to be off putting and the entire books very slow. I know some people like these books but they just weren't for me.




Week Nine: CHOCOLATE. Chocolate is a comfort food for many people. Pick a book you could read again and again and still find comforting. 

I chose The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I love the Harry Potter series. It's so magical, and the writing is lovely and I can lose hours at Hogwarts with the Golden Trio and I just adore. It's so comforting. 

Special Mention: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Twilight by Stephanie Perkins.






Week Ten: THE GRAND FINAL. Everyone is out to impress with extravagant show-stoppers. Pick your favourite book of the year so far that really impressed you.    

 This was so hard to chose, but I picked Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne. I read this in August, and I'm still thinking about it today. I loved the characters, I loved the plot. The entire book, including the themes and the way mental health was written about and portrayed was just fantastic. I might be doing a post soon, so if I am, this book will be in it. As I say, it was hard to pick and there were a few that came close but this book just stood out in my mind.







So that was the Great British Bake Off Book Tag. I hope you enjoyed it, and leave in the comments some of your answers to these questions and who you want to win GBBO. I'll be live tweeting so come and join me. I'll see you on Saturday for a lifestyle post and on Wednesday for a bookish post. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.