Monday, 3 August 2015

Tunes and Tomes || First Edition

Yes, indeed, this is another one of those common blogging things called ‘features’. With me being back in the blogosphere again, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, brainstorming, and this was a product of that. I’ve mentioned before how I wanted to be able to talk about things other than books without going off on a complete tangent, but still including a more personal note to posts, so what did my ingenious mind come up with? A music feature. That also includes books.

Hold on, hold on, keep the assumptions at bay because as overlord of the realm I am about to explain what Tunes and Tomes is all about. It isn’t just about any music, because that would be boring. No, Tunes and Tomes is about physical music, not some digital widget or image I’ve just inserted with a bit of html.

Yes, it’s about visuals. It’s about vinyls. It’s about photography. It’s about music.

I love music. I adore records, especially. I eat, sleep, and inhale books – isn’t that a cracker of a combination? This is basically a feature that gives me the opportunity to talk about music and books and also exhibit some more-so justified photography. How will I do that? Well for every Tunes and Tomes post I’ll have an album/record/CD and a book pairing. The pairing might be because I think cover art corresponds or because I think the album personifies the book, you’ll just have to wait and see.

For the first installment of this new feature I thought we would take it easy, so yes, the record I picked for today’s post was not bought in a totally hipster fashion from a totally underground record store. It was bought from HMV, brand new.

Nonetheless, it is an awesome record, and it comes with a pretty awesome book, if I do say so myself.


Today’s pairing is The Rolling Stones and Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli!

I picked this vinyl and this book to go together for two main reasons.

Reason 1) I put these two together as a pair for appearances sake, at first, I will admit – I think the colours and design go together wonderfully and they complement each other quite well, with Simon Vs being very scarlet and that running through the cover art of the album but the tones or grey, white and mustard adding more to the palette, as well as the blue in the lettering of Simon Vs echoing in the pen script decorating the album. And with both having the profiles of young men.

Reason 2) Straight away I knew this was the perfect pairing anyway because if you asked me to describe Simon Vs, many words that come to mind are fun, cute, lovely, sweet etc. but it does have other things that it deals with very well and I think the songs on this particular album do work to that very well. They’re very fun and I hesitate to use this term but it fits, they are quite ‘hip’ whilst others are more serious in their lyrics if not their tone.

Now I am not an expert in music, or books – I just happen to enjoy them both, so please do not bite my head off if you don’t agree with this, it is just my own opinion and its completely fine if you disagree, in fact I would love to hear what your thoughts would be, but like I said, I’m no expert, I’m just doing this for fun and giggles.  All I have to wonder now is whether or not the author would agree with me! 

On a different note, Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a brilliant book as I have said many times before and I desperately urge you to read it. Even my review falls short of praising this book as much as it deserves to be praised, but you can check it out anyway (here) to see what I thought. I do hope you enjoyed this new project that I’m trying out, and if you would like to take part in the feature then please do contact me on Twitter or via email! Lastly, I'd just like to quickly thank Michelle, Cat and Georgia for helping me get this feature off of the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.