Sunday, 9 August 2015

[MUSINGS] REVIEW || Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Book Title: Landline
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: Orion, 3rd July, 2014
Source: Book Swap
Format: Uncorrected Proof Copy, 354 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems besides the point now. Maybe that was always besides the point. Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her. When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . . Is that what she’s supposed to do? Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?
Oh Landline, what do I have to say about you?

What can I say about you?

Your concept certainly had me peering above my duvet, and it didn’t hurt that the writer who penned you is one that I’ve read of and loved before. What exactly are you supposed to be? I asked myself. I still don’t have an answer to that question, you were a strange mix of concepts between Contemporary and… magic? Which was done very well, I have to say, if not still quite a strange thing to accept without any explanation.

I enjoyed this book immensely, I did. It was interesting and had a certain quirkiness to it that appealed to my inner (or rather outer) eccentric self. The whole thing took a while to get used to, the writing style and the main character, to put it simply, I don’t like Georgie. At all.

The whole situation that the book was based around (Georgie and Neal’s not-happy-marriage) just annoyed me to no end, it was very irritating. All I wanted to do was knock some sense into them, the whole thing could have been solved very easily. Meaning that as the story went on I did get very wary of what was happening and how tangible it could really be when it was such an irritating situation. As a result of this, I did get pulled out of the immersion for at least half of the book. 

Then something else happened.

I actually started caring, there was a huge turnabout and nothing that I can pinpoint it to. Suddenly, I was okay with it all and I really started liking the book and liking the plot and the direction it was taking, at that point I just couldn’t stop reading.

Now, one thing that was immediately clear was that Rainbow hasn’t lost her talent for making absolutely adorable and cute romances, and romantic moments that can be believed. Once I really got into the novel I couldn’t stop echoing aww’s and ooh’s and oh my godddd’s. The moments between Neal and Georgie are things that you can’t help but love. It was fantastic to read a romance like that, even if it was broken or breaking at points. It’s very hard to separate what I hated and what I loved about this book because the end product of everything is something that I really like. And I don’t think I’d like this book as much as I do if I didn’t have issues with it, which means that what I hate about the book is also what I love about it.

It’s complicated. But, I liked the book, a hell of a lot. Eventually.

It’s one of the more so conflicting Contemporaries that I’ve read.

I don’t think I can round up this review in any way really, it was one of the tasks in the Triwizard Tournament to simple write the review itself because I was that confused and conflicted. In the end I can’t deny that I really liked this book. I adore Rainbow Rowell.

Reading this book was a strange experience, and I do recommend that you give it a go!

Rating = 4 Bookish Birds


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.