Wednesday, 15 April 2015

UKYA STARTER KIT!

It was UKYA day on Sunday 12th April. A day completely devoted to UKYA reads, created by Lucy from Queen of Contemporary. As a big reader of UKYA reads, I had the problem of wanting to blog about UKYA but having no idea what to write. But I got inspired. Today I'm going to share with you the books I think would make a good UKYA starter kit for someone who has either no experience of UKYA books or who wants to branch out through UKYA but has no idea where to start.

Trouble by Non Pratt is an amazing UKYA contemporary about teen pregnancy. It's gritty and real, it's not too hard to get into and is told from dual points of view.


Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt is such a beautiful contemporary. Also told from two points of view, it has a good message, darker undertones, and one of my favourite moments form a book ever. Plus Ryan!

Adorkable by Sarra Manning is such a good book. Easy to get into, a strong, independent female, a male who I need. Dual point of view. One of my                                                                                                                                  favourite UKYA reads.

Undone by Cat Clarke is a LGBT book that will break you into many pieces. It will give you all the feels. It's incredible and emotional and I can't say anything else except that you must read this!

Geek Girl by Holly Smale is the first in an ongoing series. Funny, sweet. Harriet, the main character, is so real and relatable. Toby is amazing. I need a Lion Boy. And Wilbur-not-iam is bonkers in a good way. So quick and easy and fun. The perfect series!

Soulmates by Holly Bourne is another book that will rip you heart out and break it. It is sad but awesome and everyone should read this because tears!

Dead Jealous by Sharon Jones is the first book in the Poppy Sinclair Thrillers. Fast paced murder mystery for YA. Twists and turns, a good main character and great writing. A great read for everyone.

Say Her Name by James Dawson is one of the creepiest books. A YA horror, perfect for beginners or people looking for a good scare. Mary is scary!

Follow Me Down by Tanya Byrne is an incredibly creepy crime novel. Filled with twists, got a great main character. I really enjoyed this and would say it is a great read for someone trying this sort of fiction. Also has one of my favourite covers.

Cruel Summer by James Dawson is one of my favourite mysteries. It's good great characters, AMAZING plot twists and that ending! Plus it's set in a different country! Bonus points!! Such a great mystery thriller.

Banished by Liz de Jager is an amazing fantasy novel. It has an kick-ass female main character, great male characters and is just such a fast paced read. The first book in a trilogy and the second is already out, so all the more reason to read it.

The Elites by Natasha Ngan is a fast paced dystopian thriller type book. Great world and characters, awesome pace and an amazing story.


Slated by Teri Terry is a very fast paced dystopian book set in London. The first book in a trilogy, creepy and amazing at the same time. One of my favourite UKYA books of all time. I love everything about it.

Mind Games by Teri Terry is a fast paced dystopian standalone. It takes a couple of pages to get into but once you're hooked, you are hooked until the end. Luna is a great character, everyone is so real. Recently published, I still think about this book most days, it's that good!

So there is fourteen amazing UKYA reads that would make the perfect starter kit. As I write this, I've realised that I've missed out loads, like Solitaire by Alice Oseman, Split Second and Every Second Counts by Sophie McKenzie and the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman. Oops! But I feel like there is already plenty books mentioned here.

Comment if you read UKYA, if you have read any of these before, if you have what your favourite was and recommend me some UKYA books to read. I'll see you next week with another post.



1 comment:

  1. Great post - I love to see people appreciate UKYA! Another UKYA author that I love is Sally Green - she has written the Half Bad Trilogy, and I'm currently reading that.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.