Tuesday, 10 March 2015

REVIEW || Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

24926015Book Title: Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Author: Becky Albertalli
Publisher: Penguin, April 7th, 2015
SourcePublisher (via NetGalley)
Format: e-ARC, 320 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
It’s been a while since I've read a YA Contemporary novel that I've adored as much as Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda – all I can do is praise it, there wasn't even a fault that I could find, nothing that I didn't like.

If I were being simple I’d call this a great love story.

And I don’t mean great as in “hey, this is great” I mean great as in greatness of Romeo and Juliet proportions, without all  the death and tragedy obviously.

I just really love this book. Okay.

The most striking and brilliant thing about this book is how relatable it is (not just within the relationship between Blue and Simon, but in the family dynamics, and overall way friendship is portrayed too), how real everything felt, and how incredibly, amazingly sweet it was to experience everything along with Simon. Albertalli’s writing had such warmth to it that I have never experienced before, it was truly refreshing. And everything she wrote was so sincere that it went hand in hand with that writing style.

Anytime I think about the book I just get this little dorky smile, I mean, that is how good it was – I believe I could read this book again and again, and just keep falling in love with it a little more each time. I could go into detail, a lot of detail, but I really don’t see the point because I will just end up repeating the same sentiment over and over, and it’ll probably get quite boring.

I cannot recommend this book enough, I really do mean this; if you are to only pick up one book this year, try to make it this one. I think it’s a timeless story, and I absolutely loved every single aspect of it, even when we thought all was lost – it’s just fantastic.

Need I praise it anymore to get my point across?


Rating = 5 Bookish Birds


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.