Thursday, 19 March 2015

REVIEW || Shipwrecked by Siobhan Curham

Book Title: Shipwrecked (Shipwrecked #1)
Author: Siobhan Curham
Publisher: Electric Monkey, June 3rd, 2013
SourcePublisher 
Format: Paperback, 342 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Grace Delaney and her fellow dance students are en route to perform on a South Pacific cruise-ship when a freak storm hits and they find themselves stranded on a deserted island. With the tropical heat rising, passions and tensions swell to breaking point. And the island itself is quietly steaming with a terrible secret...
Shipwrecked is one of those books you just kick yourself for not getting to earlier because once you start it you are hooked, and to be completely honest I am currently writing this review whilst I lust for the sequel because seriously, I need to know what happens to the crew next! And yes, I have started calling the kids my crew, don’t judge. It is what I imagine a combination of The Hunger Games and Smells Like Teen Spirit would look like, with a bit of voodoo thrown into the mix. It’s a combination that really shouldn’t work; I mean I was that skeptical but in a weird way it does work and it works really really well.


Curham got down a pretty mixed group of characters from the very beginning, despite them all being dance students and knowing each other there are clearly cliques and I thought that this would put me off the book because teenage drama isn’t really my scene but once again I was wrong, Siobhan made me care about what happened in this fractured group of students, even to the ones I began to loathe. The plot of the book itself is so enticing mainly because it’s pretty unpredictable, just as the characters don’t really know what’s up, neither do we and combined with the atmosphere that Curham made bloom on the pages it was the perfect setting for a creepy voodoo queen to show up, and a little bit of island romance. (Hello, yes, total reference to cruise-ship right there.)



Coming to review the book, I can’t truly find a fault in it – there was not a thing that I disliked, or anything that annoyed me. The pace was excellent, and although I wish there had been more development with Hortense I look forward to that happening in the sequel. The Gossip Girl aspect was balanced nicely with the eeriness of the island and the validity of the situation. It’s the perfect mix of grittiness and desperation. I really enjoyed Curham’s writing style it melded well with Grace’s character and her descriptions brought the island itself to life -  I don’t think I’ll forget this one in a hurry! I urge you to give this one a go; it’s unlike anything I’ve read before and despite all the seriousness there are quite a few fun moments – definitely a series I will be following!

Rating = 4 Bookish Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.