Tuesday, 17 March 2015

REVIEW || A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Book Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's (UK), May 7th, 2015
Source: ARC from Publisher
Format: Paperback ARC, 432 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Feyre’s survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price. Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre’s presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.
I don’t think it’s escaped anyone’s notice that I’m quite a big fan of Sarah’s books, so when the lovely people at Bloomsbury sent me an ARC of it for Christmas I was over the moon – the most I had heard about the book was that it was some sort of veiled beauty and the beast re-telling, and there were faeries.

Of course it went straight onto my wishlist.

Overall I can say the book pleasantly surprised me, I did have my worries that the main character [Feyre] would sound too similar too Celaena and therefore have a negative impact on the book, but Feyre was her own person and her narration had a flow that was really easy to get into.

The first half of the book is rather docile, and it did bring my expectations of the book down quite a lot but I did enjoy getting to know Feyre and Tamlin, and the new world that Maas created during that half and whilst it wasn’t amazing it still kept me reading every inch of the way and there were some very intense scenes. I mean, wow. Then there’s the big (well, not THAT big) twist and as a result the rest of the book is quite brilliant. I will admit when the concept of the “trials” was brought up my mind did flit to what Celaena had to experience whilst trying to become the king’s champion, but once again even though there was that link Maas still made it unique to the story she was telling and with the way it was written it just knew it would become an instant favourite of mine, and it has.

The relationship between Tamlin and Feyre was one that I found enjoyable to read, although very predictable (throughout the whole book, to be honest) but it just wasn't my favourite, you know, with the prisoner falling in love with the captor… it’s a little distasteful. I absolutely adored the dynamics that the two main characters had with Lucien, he is that character who is a bit of an ass but he brought an element of fun to the novel and consequently meant that not all the focus was on Feylin. 

There were only two real negatives; one of them was that personally I felt that the villain was very removed from the whole story, because of that she didn’t really seem like a threat, and when she was in scene’s she just seemed a little petty. Secondly; the entire book was brilliant but it wasn’t a good as I was expecting it to be. It was written very well, and the imagery that Mass evoked really helped the book along, but there was just a lack of a wow factor. I can see that the novel does have the potential to be amazing, and I have a feeling that due to development in the second novel it’s going to become much better as the series goes on.

In short, A Court of Thorns and Roses has it all; the romance, the funny moments, magic, a dysfunctional family and of course, some great action-ey scenes. It is truly quite brilliant and I do urge you to pick it up and have a read, especially if you’re a bit on the fence about the fantasy genre – I think this is one will help you ease into it.
Rating = 3.5 Bookish Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.