Friday, 13 March 2015

[SUPER EARLY] REVIEW || The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle

Book Title: The Accident Season
Author: Moira Fowley-Doyle
PublisherCorgi Childrens, July 2nd, 2015
SourcePublisher (via NetGalley)
Format: e-ARC, 288 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom. The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear. But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?
I don't normally review a book this early before its publication date but I couldn't delay sharing my thoughts on this novel any longer - big thank you to Random House for the copy!

It took me a while to come to a conclusion about this book, a rather long while at that. It is definitely a different book – even now I’m not entirely sure how to articulate my feels about the book in such a way to convey how much I did truly enjoy it, but how strange I found it too. I think The Accident Season is a book that is going to cause a lot of chatter when it goes out into the world, and for a debut novel I can’t call it anything but fantastic.
Being a fan of what I like to call “contemporary-fantasy” The Accident Season had me fifty shades of intrigued (okay, bad joke) and having read the book now, I don’t think the blurb even comes close to showing you how complex it is and to what extent it addresses a lot of various aspects. I mean its basically got everything, fantasy, well portrayed adolescents, mystery – on a normal day if someone had proposed this book to me, I would have had more than a few issues with the entire plot yet after reading it and experiencing it for myself there actually isn’t a thing about it that I would change.
The main group of characters is written very well as teenagers, they’re not just one surface thing, just as we aren’t, they’re a mixed up myriad of experiences – there’s been more than one occasion when characters in YA books (no matter the genre) just mesh together because they’re all the same, but the kids in Doyle’s book were what I deem to be the perfect portrayal of a young human. Of course I’m not an expert, but in my opinion this was done very well and was one of the championing aspects of the novel.
Before coming to write this review I was very on the fence with The Accident Season, despite the great writing style, brilliant characters, and overall tone and direction of the book I found bits where it didn’t seem to gel as well and as I touched on before it was just kind of strange, in that way I was always slightly detached from the story. There were also a few times when it felt as though points were being brought into play without any introduction or much development for that matter.
I did thoroughly enjoy reading this book and the overall plot was very clever – I definitely think it’s going to stick as a favourite. The Accident Season was very eerie, mysterious, magical, and quite relatable. I loved the relationship between the siblings and how Doyle approached it, usually it’s something I’m quite wary of but I adored it in this book! I did find the ending slightly anticlimactic but it suited the story well and I think the interwoven dreams/visions had a way of distorting the readers view of what was fantasy and reality which, surprisingly, I really liked. I cannot wait to see what else Doyle is going to come up with!
Rating = 3.5 Bookish Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.