Thursday, 5 February 2015

REVIEW || Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Book Title: Red Queen (Red Queen #1)
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: Orion, February 12th, 2015
Source: Publisher (via NetGalley)
Format: e-ARC, 320 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
This is a world divided by blood – red or silver. The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers. To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change. Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
Of course, Red Queen caught my attention right away, months ago, and I’ve been eagerly awaiting the moment when I could finally get my hands on a copy and devour the book – now it’s all hands on deck for the second book, please! I don’t think it has come as a surprise that I enjoyed this book immensely. I had some reservations at first, as one tend to has with the amount of similar fantasy novels out there, because it seemed very similar to the premise of Red Rising by Pierce Brown, this wasn’t as intense as Red Rising which, in comparison, was disappointing.

I loved being in Mare’s head, I can’t pinpoint exactly why, in a way I kind of despised her but was able to relate to her in certain ways too. I didn’t particularly like any of the characters, on one hand a lot of them were pretty likeable, and on the other hand the villains were just… villainous, in a way the had no substance, they were too rounded, as if you were just supposed to hate them, end of story.

Having said all that, it was hard to love Red Queen as much as I wanted to, it just wasn't original enough, and whilst Aveyard’s writing style was engaging and her descriptions more than adequate, there wasn’t any pizzazz -  nothing that made me go “holy fricking wow.” And yet, the plot of the book was well executed, the twists creeped up on me slowly but surely. The atmosphere Aveyard created was perfect, and she also kept a constant mood throughout the entire novel. Her descriptions created vivid scene’s and I have a soft spot for books about abilities, and the way the Aveyard introduced and ran with the Silver’s (and others) abilities was something I really liked reading about.

A negative point that loomed over most of the book was the whole dystopia trend of “I-must-help/start/cause-this-recolution-and-I’m-trying-to-take-down-the-government” I have never been overly fond of that, and this exact point was mentioned by the character herself, more than once! Let’s just say it didn’t earn the book any favors…

Despite this being a bit of a rollercoaster and me swinging back between "I really like this" and "this is actually kind of crap in some respects, should I like it?" and I've settled firmly in the "I liked this, but there's room for improvements" aisle - it was more than I was hoping for, and it definitely hasn't disappointed BUT there's just a lack of something, some unfilled potential. 

Of course, it sounds rather harsh, I'm not saying that this is a terrible book at all - as I mentioned I really enjoyed it, there are just a few points that pulled it back from the edge of being amazing. If you liked Marie Lu’s The Young Elites then I definitely think this book is right up your alley! 


Rating = 3.5 Bookish Birds

1 comment:

  1. I desperately want to read this book. Unfortunately, I feel most books involve the whole we-need-to-take-down-the-corrupt-government thing going on, it is getting exceedingly repetitive. I really hope authors come up with something else to replace it soon!

    Great review, Fi!! xD

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.