Monday, 12 January 2015

REVIEW || The Glass Bird Girl by Esme Kerr

Book Title: The Glass Bird Girl (Knight's Haddon #1)
Author: Esme Kerr
Publisher: Chicken House, May 1st, 2014
Source: Gifted!
Format: Proof copy, 304 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Orphan Edie is sent by her artdealer uncle to Knight’s Haddon School, to investigate the disappearance of a precious glass bird belonging to his secretive client’s daughter, Anastasia, an unhappy Russian princess. But what Edie uncovers instead is a dangerous mystery that only the girls themselves can solve.



Being a big fan of boarding school novels I was excited to get into The Glass Bird Girl, especially when I read the back flap and saw that there was a kidnap plot. I’ll admit that whilst I was skimming over the first few chapters I became slightly skeptic towards how much I thought I was going to like it as the introduction wasn’t very strong, but as I got further into the book I began to really enjoy it.

I doubt I’m really the target audience for the book, I believe its more marketed to younger readers as it’s a Middle Grade, and hence why the juvenile elements of the novel were a negative point for me. Another negative point was the fact that I didn’t see much character development, and whilst there were some great descriptions that set the scene there was a lack of description of the characters which made it hard to fully immerse myself in the book since I couldn’t visualize who I was reading about!

I found the plot of the novel brilliant, it did take a while to build up but when it did I was absolutely satisfied and loved how everything played out. Even though I didn’t make any connect to her I still loved Edie as a character, she was really likeable I only wish we’d gotten a bit more back story when it came to Edith’s parents and Miss Fotheringay. Nevertheless the information provided was enough to pull everything together.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Glass Bird Girl – it was fun, unique, and I look upon it quite affectionately now. I definitely recommend it if you want a light read, or something to get younger children reading! I'm also looking forward to reading any more books that come out set in Knight's Haddon!

Rating = 3 Bookish Birds
*Thank-you to the lovely Kate Lock for gifting this to me!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.