Friday, 2 January 2015

Fionnuala's End of Year Book Survey || Part 1!

2014 End Of Year Book Survey
I saw Jamie's Book Survey flying about last year but didn't really feel comfortable to contribute at the time because I hadn't really been blogging for very long, but this year its a whole new me (imagine something along the lines of going from the Tenth doctor to the Eleventh without all the fairy dust) [haha, not really I just used that Doctor Who reference to justify me being lazy] {but because its a Doctor Who reference you will all forgive me}. 

Moving on, so this is the very first time of me doing the End of Year Book Survey. Even though it was hard at times (this sounds like the beginning to a motivational speech) I did have loads of fun with this! Now for all the health and safety things that I have to say or else a bunch of official looking not-lawyers will be after me. 1) I may or may not have written this entire pots under the influence of large quantities of tea, cake, and feels. 1.5) Therefore I cannot be held liable for any insane or slightly mad comments. 2) I am not sponsored by any t.v. shows so any references that follow are completely un-paid for. You're welcome. 3) I'm sick and tired of looking at this post so you will just have to deal with any mistakes. DEAL WITH IT.

Now on with the survey!

reading-stats-2014

Number Of Books You Read: 111 (surpassing my 2014 goal by 11 books!)
Number of Re-Reads: 16 (A Song of Ice and Fire series, Harry Potter series, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer)
Genre You Read The Most From: YA Contemporary 

best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

Off the top of my head, probably "Are you mad? I CAN'T PICK ONE BOOK" by Me - if it helps though I did (after much deliberation) pick my ten favourite books from this year... (see here, heh)

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Solitaire by Alice Oseman - this is another book that I had discussed at length with my lovely assistant friend, Arianne, and for various reasons it just didn't click with me, unfortunately since I was so massively excited for this one.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 

Its a tie between We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (for obvious reasons) and Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith! Grasshopper Jungle was just surprising because of how brilliant it was and We Were Liars was literally surprising... YOU KNOW WHY. 

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas -  I more shoved this on people rather aggressively. BUT IT WAS A SUCCESSFUL METHOD BECAUSE LOADS OF PEOPLE READ IT SOONER. BECAUSE OF ME. HAHA, I RUINED LIVES. YOU'RE WELCOME.

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

Does a trilogy count as a series? If so then the Splintered trilogy is definitely the best series I started in 2014! Best sequel was probably... I actually can only recall one sequel I read and it wasn't very good... oops! Best series ender - well, ditto because the one series ender I read this year was City of Heavenly Fire and I just can't call it the best... sorry!

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

A.G. Howard, author of the Splinitered trilogy! Lots of love for this author and her books!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

You're the One that I Want by Giovanna Fletcher - I don't usually read Chicklit but I gave it a go this year and found it really enjoyable and YTOTIW was definitely my favourite!

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Red Rising by Pierce Brown, because I could literally not put it down. Seriously, my hands could just not let go of this book, I had to finish it in one go!

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Splintered, once again, because I already want to re-read it so hopefully I'll get around to that soon - although I do have a tonne of review copies so I may have to be all responsible and push aside re-reads for this year, or next year - I'm writing this in 2014 but it won't be published until 2014 so... YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

The cover of A Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, it looks fantastic in the image with all its storminess and just generally bad ass vibes and it looks even more fabulous in real life, and I haaaaave a hardback of it... *drools* *gloats* hahahahah be jealous.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

Once again I can't pick one, but these two characters are from the same book so its okay - Sarah and Linda from Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley. Funnily enough as I've said in my review (which may or may not be up now) I don't like Linda, at all, even though they were all happy at the end. Nonetheless, these two characters seem to be seared into my skull because I just cannot forget about them, at all!

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry -  unfortunately I didn't come across a lot of books this year where the writing itself was something I fell in love with, yet this was one of the rare ones and I can barely remember the book to be honest, but I remember being slightly shocked because it was so... normal-ish (minus the maiming and whatever else I've forgotten) but such a beautifully written book.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

Yeah, I don't have a good answer for this one. BUT (there's that cheeky but) I need to throw out a mention to James Dawson's This Book Is Gay because its such a brilliant book [that I read this year] and I think it did provoke a lot of thoughts for me, albeit ones I'd already had on the topic, and I also think its something everyone who can read should own!

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

I can't tell if this question is insinuating that it has to be a book you had to actually like... so I'm going to be the rebel without a cause that I am (I did warn you at the beginning of this post that things might get crazy) and answer with Every Day by David Levithan - a book that I have slowly begun to hate (but in a good-ish way).

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

For the nth time I'm slightly cheating because I'm going to include my favourite passage AND my favourite quote and if you're being snarky and asking your computer screen what the difference is then allow me to educate you - a passage; a narrow way, typically having walls on either side, allowing access between buildings or to different rooms within a building; a passageway - a quote; a quotation giving the estimated cost for a particular job or service. I'm just joking, obviously (THE CRAZINESS IS ENSUING). Favourite passage; dammit I just said all that and now I can't remember a single passage. Favourite quote; She was the heir of ash and fire and she would bow to no one... ~ Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas. JUST SUCH AN EMPOWERING QUOTE.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest = If I Stay by Gayle Forman 
Longest = City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare 
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this year that was the shortest and longest.

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most

At another lost but I think it has to be Undone by Cat Clarke, which although shocking and it ripped out my heart, I actually saw coming. The mark of a good writer, will still punch you in the feels even when you know what's going to happen. LIKE EVERY SINGLE TIME I WATCH THE SEASON NINE FINALE OF SUPERNATURAL.
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

THERE'S TOO MANY, DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS, PLEASE (its Echo and Noah, really, Katie McGarry has welded those two into my heart)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

*resists the powerful urge to shout Dean and Cas* Uh... hmm... non-romantic relationship from a book... well, that would obviously have to be... *mind blank* oh yes, I think I've got one the relationship between Alex and her brother in A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke. I understand if you don't get why this is my favourite relationship because arguably the brother (can't remember his name, ugh!) wasn't the most helpful and the relationship itself wasn't really explored, but still for lots of reasons I won't go into - it just is.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Take Me On by Katie McGarry - oh look at that, I mentioned Katie again! *hint hint* go read all her books because they are flawless! (I may be biased, just a little).

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey - this book was my very last review of 2014! If you've read my review (*cough* here *cough*) then you'd know that I really, really, really, liked it! I honestly can't remember who recommended it to me (maybe Jim, loosely on Twitter?) but I do remember thinking oh brilliant I never would have picked this up even though I've seen it around.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

RAFE. RAFE. RAFE. RAFE. RAFE. I will admit his allure lessened slightly when I finally realized he wasn't *spoiler alert* an assassin. From The Kiss of Deception, by the way. And yes, that was a totally superficial comment. SUE ME. Actually I'm slightly worried that Arianne  might have a word or two to say about that...

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill - such a fantastic read, and whilst having to review it did put me on the fence about the novel I still can't deny it makes a statement and all in all it is just fabulous. Again, I have to give props to my assistant (Arianne) for rec'ing this and making me read it sooner!

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

The Young Elites by Marie Lu - I absolutely loved the renaissance feel even though it was a foreign land! Plus this was just a great fantasy read that I ended the year with annnnd the book gets an extra half star at least because it got me out of a reading slump!

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Another mention to This Book Is Gay by James Dawson - it was definitely a fun read! Along with the brilliant illustrations I think James Dawson just said what needed to be said and did it in a way that was surprisingly easy and enjoyable to read! Honestly, I cannot praise this book enough or stress the fact that you need to buy it!!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - it was the dog(s) that did it for me, even when I had it figured out it was just BAM, yes that thingy happened to the dogs too. So yep, the dogs pushed me over the edge to crying. Of all things. The dogs. [If you've read WWL you'll know what I mean, if not then this probably sounds like a very odd paragraph...]

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon - uhm feeling a little guilty because I received an ARC of this book but only got round to reading it about a month ago. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it and I haven't heard a lot of people talk about it soooo that qualifies, right?

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

We. Were. Liars. No questions asked. We aren't even going to talk about it.
*whispers* the... dogs...

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

Bringing it back round to two books I've already mentioned (I THINK WE'VE ESTABLISHED THE FACT THAT I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO ONLY CHOOSE ONE BOOK, OKAY) and definitely; This Book Is Gay and All the Truth That's in Me were such unique reads both for different reasons but both equally fantastic. [I'm running out of synonyms of the words fantastic and fabulous]

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Winger by Andrew Smith - I knew Smith would crawl in again at some point. Yeah, so I'm not going to go into detail about why this book made me mad but if I ever get round to finding an app the translates "passionate-fangirl-gibberish" then I'll be able to publish my review of Winger and you can all see why, until then though, I leave you shrouded in mystery and intrigue.

Well, well, well, that is the end of Part 1 of my End of Year Book Survey - part 2 will be rolling out soon! In the meantime here are some fantastic (I've already thrown my thesaurus out the window by this point) posts that have been bouncing around that you should definitely check out! *little purple bow* *little blue bow* *little green bow* *little yellow bow* [And before you say anything I just spent the best part of three hours answering these questions I'm not going to spend another ten minutes finding pictures of little bows and linking them up.] GOOD DAY TO YOU.

*psst* also, first post of 2015, yaaaaay!

1 comment:

  1. Fab end of year review... I loved A Kiss In The Dark and We Were Liars.... Just . Can't. Speak!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.