Friday, 28 November 2014

MINI REVIEWS || If I Stay by Gayle Forman AND Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt

Mini reviews are a shorter way for me to review books and I've only ever done one other mini review post and I'm not starting them now because I'm lazy or anything, but it seems like a much more efficient way to review books that I don't have much or say about or *pulls collar guiltily* books that I can't remember much about to make a full four paragraph long review of.

Book Title: If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Speak, July 8th, 2014
Source: Bought!
Format: Paperback (Movie Tie-In), 304 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
In the blink of an eye everything... (~Goodreads)
If I Stay is a book that has been praised a lot and I finally picked up my copy in July and read it, and I was... not exactly disappointed. The story was every bit as heartwrenching as people had told me, and I really liked Mia as a character, I think we'd get on really well as friends but I just couldn't connect emotionally with the story - which wasn't really surprising I don't connect with many contemporaries, but I think what made it slightly worse was that literally every single person who I spoke to about it told me I'd cry and that they loved the book. I so desperately wanted to love it too, but in the end there was nothing really there for me. Gayle Forman is one of my favourite authors, I loved Just One Day and Just One Year but If I Stay didn't really do anything for me. I'm not dissing it or anything I can still recognize that it's well written and I think the sentiment behind the story is really geniune and I like that, but once I finished the book I couldn't help but feel like "that's it? where's the emotion? did I miss out a whole chunk of the book, or something?".
Rating = 3 Bookish Birds

Book Title: Skin Deep
Author: Laura Jarratt
Publisher: Electric Monkey, March 5th, 2012
Source: Review copy
Format: Paperback, 377 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Ugly people don't have feelings... (~Goodreads)
Skin Deep is such an adorable contemporary, I loved it to pieces. If there's one thing I associate with Skin Deep its the word glowing, honestly anytime I think about this novel I get this silly little smile and it just glows in my mind. If that isn't high praise I don't know what is... Jenna was just such a good, nice person, even though she has to deal with her scars, and sometimes this would annoy me because "nice" characters can often be portrayed as a little boring, but Jenna was so lovely - she's probably one of my favourite contemporary characters ever! That's not to say she was perfect, far from it, but she was so real the way she was insecure, and could take things the wrong way very quickly is really genuine. The book is told from two perspectives in alternating chapters, and the writing style was fantastic, I really got a good feel for Ryan's character through his chapters and was able to clearly distinguish from both of them (unlike in Allegiant when Four and Tris sounded completely the same...) - both perspectives were also equally as interesting, usually I'd find myself rooting for one perspective, but in Skin Deep I loved both. Lastly, the way the issue of bipolar mental illness [through Ryan's mother] was intertwined into the story was one of my favourite elements, it didn't take away from the main storyline, but Jarratt wrote it in really well and I honestly can't find a fault in the novel. It was such a joy to read and I can't recommend it enough!
Rating = 4 Bookish Birds

4 comments:

  1. I really liked If I Stay, but couldn't agree more on the fact that the emotion felt rather diluted. If you're thinking about continuing with the duology though, I must point out that Where She Went is FAR better all round (especially when it comes to emotion)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really wanted to pick up Where She Went mainly because I just NEED to know what happens with Mia and Adam - I'll definitely be bumping it up on my TBR now, thanks Holly! Fi xx

      Delete
  2. I didn't really like If I Stay either so I don't know if I'll be reading Where She Went... I generally think that Gayle Forman isn't really for me because I've been a bit meh about all of her books that I've read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only really favoured her book Just One Day so far, maybe she just won't click for me...! But there are so many other brilliant contemporary authors out there for everyone with different tastes and opinions!

      Delete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.