Sunday, 16 November 2014

BOOK TALK || To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Book Title: To Kill A Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Publisher
Source
Format
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both and instant bestseller and a critical success when it was first published in 1960. It went on to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award-wining film, also a classic. Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior - to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos. Now with over 19 million copies in print and translated into ten languages, this regional story by a young Alabama woman claims universal appeal. Harper Lee always considered her book to be a simple love story. Today it is regarded as a masterpiece of American Literature.
I had to read this book for school, and I loved it! I feel like I'm the only one in my class that did. And I wanted to review it, but I wasn't sure how to actually review this book, because it's such a well known book, and has such a varied plot line.

So plot wise, I feel like there was two separate plot lines and for a large majority of the book I couldn't see how it would all tie together. I felt like in the more descriptive places, or when it setting the scene, I found myself almost skim reading and I had to go back and read some chapters multiple times to really understand what happened in them. This was especially prevalent in the opening chapters.

Okay, so lets talk about the characters. To start with Scout. I loved Scout. I want her to be my little sister. She's very intelligent for her age, although that is down to her father and Jem's influences. At the beginning of the book, Scout is spoilt and kind of bratty. She goes in a huff because she gets into trouble, but she matures throughout the book.

So next is Jem. I'm gonna be honest and say that I've had my issues with Jem, especially with his ideas on bravery and what acts are brave. The fact he see's being near Boo Radley's house as being brave annoyed me a lot, as did the moments where he could be seen as quite stereotypical, with his interest in football, and his willingness to do anything to get on the team. That definitely annoyed me. In saying that, I still love Jem. He was really protective of Atticus and Scout and defended Atticus when people were calling him names. (Yes I know how that sounds!)

Atticus is a amazing character. He stands up for what is right, even though he knows that he won't win. He is a moral character. He looks out for everyone, and will help them, in any situation, no matter if they can give him any recognition. He never lies to his children unless one hundred percent necessary. He's that one character that you want to be there, because you know he would teach you the right way to look at situations. As a father, he is great, although he doesn't really show his love for his children, he still helps them in any way he can and plays and reads to them.

I'm not going to talk anymore about individual characters, although as a side note, I feel like this is one of the only books where every character, even ones only mentioned in one chapter, have a role and are important to the story.

So I think I'm going to go now as I think I have said everything I want to. If you liked this sort of thing, let me know and I will see you on Wednesday for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.