Monday, 20 October 2014

Why I Have Never Published a Discussion Post

I'm just going to jump into this straight away without any faffing about: not having discussion posts as a real option limits the amount of variety if posts I can write, by at least 30%. And believe me, its not for lack of trying, I've written discussion posts loads of times about various topics but never had the nerve to post them for two main reasons. Both of which are seemingly related to self-confidence, of which I don't have much.

UN-ORIGINALITY

This shouldn't bother me, but it does. Basically the process usually goes like this; "oh, I really want to share my thoughts and opinions on this topic!" *writes post* *thinks* *realizes that the topic has already been talked about a billion times in much better ways than I can articulate* *gets discouraged* *deletes post and crawls into cave* Not only do I get discouraged when I see how other bloggers talk about the same topic in an amazing way, but I also don't want to seem like I copying other people by talking about the same thing, which discourages me even more... its a cruel process.

SELF-CONFIDENCE

Now this is pretty much the big mastermind behind why I don't publish discussion posts. I'm one of those people who doesn't really feel comfortable talking about something that is based fully on my opinion if I'm not an authority on the topic, or if I don't feel very strongly about the topic. If I do feel strongly about a topic then its like I'm invincible, I'll be super confident about my opinion but I won't be a jerk about it. Yet a lot of the time I don't feel that strongly about many topics so its easy for me to wiggle out of it and tell myself that people don't really want to hear this.

But now I really do want to write discussion posts and not be anxious about it all the time. I just want to be able to share my thoughts without any extra baggage. So I wanted to write this post to give you a little insight into that and hopefully I manage to actually post some discussion posts in the near future.

It also goes without saying that I have to thank all the girls from Oh, the Books for giving me a little push to write this post [even if the didn't know it!] and by extension I also need to thank Erika from The Red Bookmark for giving me the nudge I needed to post this. Other than that I hope you're all having a wonderful day!

6 comments:

  1. You should! I've posted a few discussion posts before and they always get some kind-of response. I, too, have decided, in the past, I'm going to write a post on a certain topic then end up getting discouraged because so many other people have posted about it. But if you ever want to write about something but feel like you're copying, you should just message the blogger and ask if you can do a Re: post. I've done that more than once and they always say yes! Everyone loves hearing someone else's opinion! :D

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought of that before! I do feel much better about posting discussions already, I think I just needed to get some of the frustrations out. Thank-you! :D

      Delete
  2. Aww Fionnuala, I'm glad we could help push you to write this (even if we didn't realize it)! I absolutely love discussion posts, so even a post about why you've never posted a discussion post attracts me. :)

    Let me tell you Fionnuala, if you want want to write a discussion post - you should! I know it has to do with self-confidence and you're struggling with that, but you'll find that you don't really know what people will think about something like this unless you try. Put it out there, see what happens, and then decide if it's something you want to do or not. Just give yourself the chance first because you deserve it! (Seriously, if you ever write a discussion post and hesitate to post it, tweet me! I'll give you all the encouragement in the world.)

    In regards to originality, there is NO topic that hasn't been discussed by some blogger or another. It's just how it is. But that doesn't mean that YOUR take on a topic isn't valid. You as a reader bring with you your own experiences, knowledge, background, morals, etc. How you respond to a topic will be different than anyone else, even if you don't realize it at the time. Your voice deserves to be heard! If it is a topic you've seen other bloggers do and you do want to talk about it, one of the best things to do is to refer to the other bloggers who've written about it, link to their posts and say if it's inspiration or not, and then write your own. No one will think you're copying them if you do that, and they'll appreciate the link! They might even stop by and read your post just for linking to their's! I mean, it's sort of like this. You tweeted us about this post so Kelley and I automatically want to come comment on it. Instead of thinking you don't have a place in this community, become a bigger part of it by sharing your voice while also sharing the love! (It's one of my favorite things to do on Oh, the Books!)

    And self-confidence? Well, that one is definitely harder to help with since it has to come from you. But I will say I believe in you and I would love to see your discussion posts if you want to write them. I think the thing that's important to remember is that a) discussion posts are usually opinions - there are no "facts" to be experts about, you're just sharing what you think and b) you ARE an expert on reading in your own little way because you DO read books. Seriously, I read in a recent article that a person is considered a "heavy reader" if they read more than six books a year. Do you read more six books a year? THEN YOU ARE A HEAVY READER and therefore an expert compared to most people! Rock it! haha

    But in all seriousness, I don't think you have to be an expert to write discussion posts. One of my favorite reasons for reading them is that they help me learn about a person. No matter how many times the topic has been done before, each person will have their own unique take with their own personal experiences, and that's exciting to read. If you want to be one of those people who want to share it, go for it. You're already taking the first step. Be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just go ahead and publish one, and you'll never go back :) Discussion posts are a lot of fun to put together and publish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! I always feel like things have been done a million times before and then start wondering whether anyone will actually care enough to read what I have to say on a topic. I say just go for it though. If no one reads it then it doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sharing your own opinion on a topic, regardless of how often it has been discussed before or who said it better than you think you said it, is important. Your opinions do matter, and these types of topics do get a lot of feedback and interaction. I'm a huge fan of discussion posts :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.