Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Why Do I Read?

So, a few weeks ago, I started to think about why I read. Why is it that I pick up a book and read it? I though about it for a while, and came up with a list. So here are my reasons for reading;
  • I read to escape. Over the last few months, a lot of stuff has hit me and I struggled to cope. But when I picked up the book I was reading, I forgot. I lost all my problems and just focused on the story. I escaped. I think that is a reason why all of us read. To escape.
  • I read to make friends. You know the feeling you get when you pick up one of your old favourite, reliable books and you just know your back with friends. I read for that feeling, the feeling of friendship I get from some of my favourite books.
  • I read to learn. I read to know facts, to learn in a way that doesn't feel like I'm learning. To expand my vocabulary, and make myself more aware of social challenges and issues. I learn from books because it is the best place to learn. 
  • I read so I can become a better person. So I can be kinder, be more caring, be more empathetic to others situations and issues. Books can give you morals and opinions and just generally make you a better person.
So they are a few reasons why I read. Comment with your reasons for reading.

1 comment:

  1. (Sorry to hear about your struggles! I hope you're doing okay!) I also read to escape. From the boring, non-magical world, because I've had a bad day, just for the sheer pleasure because, for that moment in time, it's as if time stops. All you're doing is reading.

    I also understand what you mean by point four. I, too, feel like characters in books inspire me to act a certain way or have a good, long think about my actions.

    Great post!! xD

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.