Monday, 18 August 2014

Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Book Title: Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List
Author: Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Publisher: Electric Monkey, July 3rd, 2014
Source: Bought!
Format: Paperback
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Naomi and Ely have been best friends forever. Naomi loves and is in love with Ely, and Ely loves Naomi, but prefers to be in love with boys. So they create their "No Kiss List" of people neither of them is allowed to kiss. And this works fine - until Bruce. Bruce is Naomi's boyfriend, so there's no reason to put him on the list. But Ely kissed Bruce - and the resulting fallout is going to shake up the world! 
I really enjoyed this book! The characters were just so real. Naomi and Ely both have major flaws, and that makes the book just that little bit more realistic and human. I took my time, but I fell completely in love with the characters and the plot.

Sexuality is such a large part of this book. Obviously Ely is gay, and as you read the book, you will see a few other characters are as well. I always think of David Levithan as being a writer of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) characters, so I could see a lot of his contribution to the story.

I do, however, have a small complaint with the story. There was a lot of points of view. Now because this is a co-authored novel, I expected two. Maybe three. But not about eight. Now, for the most part I could understand why this character had a POV. But at least two, I thought were just filling the book. Especially when they only had one chapter each. I will say each point of view was written differently somehow. For example, Naomi's includes what I think are little colourless emoji's. But, still, too many POV's for me personally.  

Rating = 4 Bookish Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.