Saturday, 30 August 2014

Monthly Wrap Up: August

August has been a pretty good month, it wasn't too busy, but there were enough things happening to ward the boredom away, and now its all over and school is starting again. Sigh. I'm having very mixed feelings about going back to school at the moment because a) I'm actually looking forward to going back to school and b) I have my Mocks and iGCSE's coming up within a matter of months and that's all very... stressful. On the bright side Halloween, Christmas, and my birthday are all coming up. Y'all can just buy me books.


Bout of Books was something that happened this month, it was my first time participating in one so I didn't really know what to expect but it was pretty awesome and I got through a few books on my TBR that dreadfully needed reading. Out of the books I read, one that really stood out was Red Rising by Pierce Brown -- I freaking loved that book. You need to buy it and read it. What other awesome things happened this month? Only that the awesome malevolent Sandra got two of my Throne of Glass books SIGNED by Sarah J. Maas! Speaking of Maas, who's excited for Heir of Fire releasing in September? If you're not excited for HoF I'm afraid we can't be friends. [Psst, you can check out my review of Heir of Fire here ;)]

I went on holiday to Malaysia at the beginning of the month and bought books, ten books to be exact. I've read most of them already and most of them were really good, apart from Every Day... I didn't really connect with that certain book - and you can read why in the review graphic I made! Other books I shared my thoughts on this month include; I Predict a Riot by Catherine Bruton, Take Me On by Katie McGarry, Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon, and Zoe reviewed Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan! Also, my Special Collectors Edition of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell finally arrived.


More books I got this month --

Received:
The Boy with the Tiger's Heart by Linda Coggin
Terror Kid by Benjamin Zephaniah
This book Is Gay by James Dawson
The Memory Keepers by Natasha Ngan
[thank-you Hot Key Books for these!]
Win the Rings by K.D. Van Brunt
[thanks to the author for this review copy]
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
The Walled City by Ryan Graudin
[via NetGalley, thank-you Hodder & Stoughton and Indigo!]

Bought:
The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Sabriel by Garth Nix
The Manifesto On How to Be Interesting by Holly Bourne

Gifted:
Around the World in Eight Days by Jules Verne
Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Apart from that nothing else really happened during August. It was mostly me lazing about and sleeping - I did do something constructive and managed to buy the two Hobbit dvd's. My collection is nearly complete. Oh yeah, did I mention that the new series of Doctor Who premiered at the end of this month too? I personally haven't watched it yet because its not available here yet. Sad face. But for those who did get to watch Deep Breath - HOWWASIT? WASITAMAZING? [Update: I have now watched Deep Breath and it was pretty brilliant. I really like Capaldi as the Doctor and the end of the episode made me tear up.] And new editions of Harry Potter came out (again...), I prefer the original Bloomsbury covers but the new ones do look pretty fine.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, Fionnuala! Glad you had a relaxing August!

    I've also got mixed feelings about going back to school for those exact same reasons! I love school, but I've got exams throughout the year and know it will mean endless revision...Good luck with your iGCSEs!

    Hope you had a fab time in Malaysia. I will admit that I'm slightly jealous of that collector's edition of 'Fangirl'. I loved that book - and Levi!

    -Sophie :) x

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.