Thursday, 10 July 2014

Farewell for Now - City of Heavenly Fire Thoughts

It’s always hard to finish a series, to leave the characters, and say goodbye. Especially a series that you've been following for a long time, something you've really invested yourself in. For me, prime examples include Harry Potter, Alex Rider, and now The Mortal Instruments.

It’s funny how you want that last book so much, it’s so greatly awaited by fans, as soon as you've got your hands on it you want to rush through it (at least in my experience), and get to the end. Then you read that last page, and a sort-of shock sets in. You don’t want it to be over, yet it is; it’s all over. Whether the book ended the way you wanted it to, or if it was total crap, it’s over. That’s it.

So now I’m writing this post and thinking about City of Heavenly Fire, the last book in The Mortal Instruments series; sure, there’s going to be The Dark Artifices, but this is it, really, for Clary, Jace, Simon, Isabelle, and Alec – that’s their set of adventures done with, right?

Did it end the way I wanted it to? In short, yes, I thought the Epilogue was perfect – bittersweet in ways, but of course I’m not naive enough to think we’d get a full on happy ending, no deaths, that wouldn’t be like Cassie, I think, and to be fair that would have been a real let down – no matter how much I might have wanted it.

Something was different this time, missing – City of Heavenly Fire didn't give me the same ‘buzz’ that the other books did, I just wasn't… gripped. It’s actually really hard to explain, I read the book in one sitting, but I could have put it down – I didn't because I needed to know what happened, yet with the others books I was absolutely hooked, every time I had to put them down my mind was constantly thinking about what was going to happen. My experience with CoHF was definitely a lot mellower.

Whilst I thought that Cassie’s writing style was pretty weak in this book, I did love having Jace’s familiar personality back, I mean, who else would bring condoms to a demon dimension? Water would have been higher on my list, but hey, it worked out well for him. In fact, I loved having all the characters back, AND THE SHIPS. CLACE. SIZZY. MALEC. I also really had a soft spot for Emma’s bits in this book, and that makes me doubly excited for The Dark Artifices trilogy (series?).

When I finished this book I couldn't even English, I totally ranted on Twitter to Rita (thankies you awesome peep) and writing this post has definitely helped me sift through some of my thoughts, but I am in no way done thinking about this book. I’m just done writing about it, for now.

2 comments:

  1. FIOOOOOOOO! I love this review!! It's a pity you didn't feel the same way though- ah well..we can't have everything... Ahaha! I LOVED RANTING WITH YOU TOOOO! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike you, I haven't really loved and been totally invested in this series, but I did come away with a bittersweet feeling because I also knew that was it for Clary and Jace and the gang. This was actually one of only a couple instalments I loved in the series! I'm not sure why.

    I also adored Emma and it's made me SO excited for TDA! But I'm also so excited for CC's other series too! The Will references were just so... *cries*

    Great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.