Wednesday, 25 June 2014

REVIEW: Louder Than Words by Laura Jarratt

Book Title: Louder Than Words
Author: Laura Jarratt
Publisher: Egmont, June 5th, 2014
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback, 416 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Rafi hasn't spoken for eight years. It's up to her to tell her brother's story now that he can't speak either ...
Rafi idolizes her seventeen-year-old brother, who is popular, generous and a borderline genius. Ever protective, Silas always includes her when he's with his friends, so Rafi gets to hear all sorts of things that younger sisters wouldn't normally be a part of. Like the time Silas hacks a gaming site to help out his friend Josie, who has been trashed by her ex.
With Josie, Rafi finds herself with a proper friend for the first time in her life. As they grow closer, she realises that she wants to find a way back into the world - she wants to learn to speak again. But Silas has found a new interest too - and it's taking him away from everything that was once important to him. Can Rafi find the words to save her brother?
I loved this book. I went into this book very excited. I love Laura Jarratt and I was so excited for her new book so when I seen it in the shop, I squealed slightly and had to have it.

This book deals with a girl who has selective mutism. I was really excited by this because selective mutism is something I am interested to learn more about. The story is also about friendships, families and relationships and it's told as if you were hearing the story, from the past to the current moment.

Rafi is such a sweet, endearing character. You want to hug her and protect her from everything. The relationship Rafi has with her brother, Silas, is just lovely. Silas really protects her and understands her in a way most siblings in real life wouldn't. Silas is such an important character. The story it's self is supposed to be Silas' story. Silas is the protective and caring character. He protects everyone and is instantly likeable. But for me personally, Josie is the real star of the show. Josie is vulnerable at the start but is also able to protect herself and stand up for herself. She and Rafi form an extremely close bond and Josie helps Rafi to come out of her shell.

An interesting part of this book is the element of politics and the law. Doing what's right for someone, doing what's right by law, and the idea of politicians not always being right. This added something different to the book, to make it different from most others and it made me think, which I loved.

I really loved this book and no review I write could do it any justice. Laura Jarratt has written another brilliant book that I was completely hooked to and I will be pushing this one to people left, right and center. This book will stay with me for a long, long time.

Rating = 5 Bookish Birds

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds pretty intriguing. Great review!
    MY WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read something by Jarratt for ages... specifically I've had Skin Deep on my wishlist for quite a well. But this sounds even BETTER .
    Even just the blurb (maybe cos it's longer so gives you more to go off but eh). But then your review highlights that it deals with faith, is multicultural *high five for diversity*, sibling relationships (squee! a favourite feature of mine!), politics & law... Wow. This should theoretically agree with me on so many levels, really wanna pick it up now. You weren't even that book pushy either, some books just speak for themselves.
    Glad you enjoyed it & great review (its the first of yours I've read, tho at first I thought it was Fi's as it says 'Posted by Fionnuala (Book Blogger)' which is kinda confusing, but it doesn't sound like Fi & then the 'Zoe' footer had loaded & I was like... OH HELLO ZOE :D
    So hey Zo, for both of you tho, how's co-blogging? FI, GET BACK TO YOUR ART WORK NOW (I've been doing like an hour of Art today, hehe). I'm torn, Fi. I want you to blog but also like achieve your dreams... latter seems more important. You'll have plenty of time for blogging.
    Happy reading ya'll :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.