Saturday, 17 May 2014

REVIEW: A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke

This book is definitely going to be in my top five books of 2014. I'm sure of it. If that isn't encouragement to read on, then I don't know what is.

Book Title: A Kiss in the Dark
Author: Cat Clarke
Publisher: Quercus, April 3rd, 2014
Source: Netgalley, ARC
Format: E-book, 384 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
When Alex meets Kate the attraction is instant.      Alex is funny, good looking, and a little shy - everything that Kate wants in a boyfriend.             Alex can't help falling for Kate, who is pretty, charming and maybe just a little naive...                 But one of them is hiding a secret, and as their love blossoms, it threatens to ruin not just their relationship, but their lives. 



Wow. Just wow.

This review is probably going to be one of the shortest I’ve ever written on this blog for two main reasons; 1) I definitely can’t do this novel justice with too many words, and 2) I really, really, don’t want to spoil anything, and since a big reveal comes along fairly early in the book that means I can’t talk too much about it, but just know that you will not be disappointed if you pick up this book.

Having never read a Cat Clarke novel before (although Undone was on my TBR at the time of reading this) I didn’t know what to expect – I’d heard a lot about Cat Clarke’s novels containing plot twists and that they ripped you up emotionally so needless to say I was super excited when I got the chance to read A Kiss in the Dark before publication. I got more than I’d bargained for.

This book is amazing. Period. And YA has never been better because of it.

From the narrative, which I thought was well written and I really got attached to Alex as a character (although I didn't care much for Kate), to the subject matter - this book is bursting to the brim with elements that will make you smile, gasp, and grip the book for more. At the beginning you have that feeling that this is one of those books that doesn’t get a happy ending; the character’s lives change beyond what they could have imagined on an ordinary day – and I love it. I really, really, do.

All I have left to say is that this novel left me slightly gobsmacked when I finished it. I put the book down in shock and I just sat there for a minute. The ending didn’t surprise me, but at that moment, I just processed the book in its entirety. I don’t know what else I can say to make you pick this book up; you need this book in your life, so go pick it up. Now. 

Rating: 4 Bookish Birds



2 comments:

  1. Great review. I loved this book! I really liked both Alex and Kate, actually, although I definitely think we got to know Alex better than Kate. I was so worried throughout the whole book about how it might end-- I was very satisfied with the ending!

    Cynthia @ Jellyfish Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is popping up EVERYWHERE. I really didn't think it was my thing but now I don't know whether or not to just pick it up and give it a chance. I'm pretty sure I've guessed the spoiler so I'm curious to see the after effects and how it plays out...

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.