Friday, 2 May 2014

REVIEW: Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott

Originally, I was supposed to review this book ages ago but I put it off, I put it off a lot, because this review has been difficult to write. It was only last week when I won a competition for a signed copy of Fire and Flood did I think about trying to write the review again, and its still as difficult. The book itself was an enjoyable read and I was starved for the next book at the end but as days passed I was able to process all my thoughts on it, and I ended up with a blank space. I liked it, but I didn't. 


Title: Fire and Flood (Fire and Flood #1)
Author: Victoria Scott
Publisher: Chicken House Books, March 6th, 2014
Source: ARC from the publisher
Format: Paperback, 366 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Tella's brother is dying. He's got cancer, and Tella is helpless to save him. Or so she thought. When an invitation arrives for Tella to compete in the Brimstone Bleed, a deadly competition that will lead her through treacherous jungle and scorching desert, she doesn't think twice. Because the prize is a cure to any illness. But Tella will be facing more than just the elements.

In general I have very little to say about this book, I mean as far as books go it had some good humor, a nicely written female protagonist, and an alright plot. Now, I have to review the book, and the thing is that I really liked the book, it was a great reading experience so I want to do that justice, but outside of the 'then and there' experience there's a lot that really brings this book down. 

We might as well start this off with the characters; Tella, I liked her as much as the next person, and I love the fact that Scott was able to show her as someone who cares about their looks and likes wearing feathery boas but can also be a kick-ass heroine, but at times Tella just didn't sit well with me, I can't really pin point the reason why but as the book picked up and Tella matured a bit I didn't have as many issues with her character. One issue I did have with a character though was Guy, yeah, yeah, I'm not part of the majority who swooned over him. I thought the whole mysterious persona was stereotypical and wasn't written well - I didn't like the romance that transpired between Guy and Tella because of that either - logically I just really think it unrealistic for someone to even think about, you know, 'getting on' with a guy whilst trying to win a competition, perhaps if it was strategic I'd be able to accept it a bit better, but no, just nope.
"When I first saw the sand, I thought it was beautiful. Like maybe it'd be fun to just roll around in and make sand angels. Now I know the truth, that sand is actually the love child of proud parents Marie Antoinette and Joseph Stalin."
Plot-wise it was really hard to stop myself from making comparatives between Fire and Flood and The Hunger Games, they had very similar story-lines; Girl goes into a competition set in a dangerous environment to save someone she loves, pairs up with a guy and starts falling for him, eventually the government is brought into play, etc, etc. But when I did it was easier to slip in and enjoy the story, it was well written, really it was, just something that was a really negative was the similarity to other well know dystopian novels.

Personally, I think the plot would have been more effective if we'd gotten more emotion from Tella about her brother. I didn't feel the same strong emotion between Tella and her brother as with Katniss and her sister, and felt that Cody could have been developed more as a character before the book got into Tella going to the Brimstone Bleed to save him, that would have been a really worthwhile addition.

Scott had some good descriptions in here, and something I really loved were the Pandoras, although they reminded me slightly of Pokemon I still think it was a truly awesome part of the book, and I totally want my own Pandora. I'd definitely recommend this book just for you to get the reading experience, although its brought down a lot by other factors it has imaginative writing, solid characters, and a few evil plot twists.

Rating: 3 Bookish Birds


I have tried so hard to write this review and praise the book as much as it deserves to be praised, my review is entirely honest, but even now, after having written it... all I know is that I will be picking up Salt and Stone (the sequel) as soon as I can get my hands on it.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the book, and although I wasn't too sure about the romance either, I'm glad it wasn't all the important and central either. Tella really irritated me at first, but I ended up warming up to her.
    Great and very honest review! And yes, I need a Pandora too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! There's quite a few dystopia's I've read where the main action takes a back seat to give way to the romance! I'm worried that by the time S&S is published that I might've gone off Tella again :L
      Thank-you so much! I would totally love a Phoenix Pandora! ;) xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting about this, I would love to read more about this topic.
    Flood Remediation And Mitigation Services Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.