Thursday, 17 April 2014

REVIEW: The End of the World as we Know It by Iva-Marie Palmer

Title: The End of the World as we Know It
Author: Iva-Marie Palmer
Publisher: Hot Key Books, March 6th, 2014
Source: ARC from the Publisher
Format: Paperback
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
They wanted to party like it was their last night on earth. They just might get their wish... When Teena locks Leo, Evan, and Sarabeth in the basement during her biggest party of the year, she doesn't plan on getting trapped in the Loser Dungeon herself. She can barely imagine a night with these dweebs - let alone a lifetime. But when an alien invasion destroys their entire Midwestern suburb, it looks like these unlikely friends are the last people on earth. Now, its up to them to save the world... 
The End of the World as we Know It seemed like a book that was going to be action packed, dark, and brooding. That's why I requested it from Hot Key - I like gritty YA, don't get me wrong I like clean YA too but... Yeah, not so much dark and broody. It was more witty, gross, and intense in some places. A really fun read that combines Aliens, growing friendship, and some flirtation.

The End of the World as we Know It seemed more like a crappy sci-fi movie (even with a 'mystery' narrator popping in here and there, and voice-over) in my head, one that you'd watch at home and re-watch it anyways because of how it made you chuckle. With its over the top story line, the fact that four teens battle an alien invasion with spandex, body glitter and perfume, you can't help but start the movie reeling in your head. Just go with it. It works. Sort-of.

Told from the point of view of four teens from quite different ends of the social spectrum; the characters themselves were decent, and showed your stereotypical Queen Bee, Stoner, Virgin and Geek. Usually this probably would have annoyed me to no end as I absolutely loathe stereotypes, but since there was some good character growth it worked well with the story overall, and you couldn't help but adore the characters either way.

At the beginning of the book I disliked the changing POV from four different people but as we got further in a realized that it added much more to the book than if it had been told from the point of view of one person, such as Sarabeth - this changing POV also explored the characters personalities and allowed multiple things to be happening without being explained at some point in the story because you'd already read about it from that persons POV. The multiple POV's also showed us there was more to the characters than their given labels, for example, Teena; I grew to like her when we were inside her head compared to what everyone else saw at the beginning which might of put me off.
The overly jovial rainbow-hued letters of Toys"R"Us looked monolithic above them, the backward R like some kind of cruel  joke from God. The song in her head stopped abruptly. What the fuck was Leo thinking?
The Pop Culture references were a laugh and the development with IHOP were very... interesting.

Admittedly I did have some preconceived notions when I first started the book and saw that it wasn't as serious as what I had originally thought - I thought it was going to be something comical, unrealistic, and the plot was going to be rubbish, especially the alien parts. But it was alright, and the aliens themselves weren't a bad creation, I loved the fact that they smelled like good quality coffee, its something I've never heard in relation to Aliens and it made them unique to Palmer's story.

I myself am not a big sci-fi fan, or contemporary, and to be honest I have mixed feelings about this book, some bits made me go ehh, others got me excited - Palmer's writing was decent, and she did a great job as a debut author but I really wouldn't read this book again. It was a one time thing that was enjoyable but I didn't take anything away from it. But if you like humor, alien guts, and some budding romance then you should pick up The End of the World as we Know it and have a read.

Rating: 3/5 Bookish Birds
This was quite good, but there were a few elements that took away from the whole.

The Covers:


6 comments:

  1. Four POVs? Wow, okay.

    This doesn't seem like something I'd read... but at least it's unique and I like that. It doesn't seem like cliche at all to me, and it takes guts to write original work.

    Brilliant review!

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true! I admire anyone who has a book published, I can barely finish a first draft!

      Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  2. True did really like so much did love the pretty cover but think book ned some work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed, I love having the cover on my shelves :)

      Delete
  3. The cover! PWEEEETTTY... This looks good actually. I might give this a go. Glad you liked it but sorry you didn't LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you had better luck with the book than me!

      Delete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.