Thursday, 6 February 2014

REVIEW: Finding Jennifer Jones by Anne Cassidy


Title: Finding Jennifer Jones (Jennifer Jones #2)
Author: Anne Cassidy
No. of Pages: 304
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Source: ARC
Links: Goodreads, Amazon, The Book Depository

Kate Rickman seems just like any other nineteen-year-old girl. She goes to university, she dates nice, normal boys and she works in her local tourist office at the weekend. But Kate's not really normal at all. 'Kate' is in fact a carefully constructed facade for a girl called Jennifer Jones - and it's a facade that's crumbling fast. Jennifer has spent the last nine years frantically trying to escape from her horrifying past. Increasingly desperate, Jennifer decides to do something drastic. She contacts the only other girl who might understand what she's dealing with, breaking every rule of her parole along the way. Lucy Bussell is the last person Jennifer expects any sympathy from, but she's also the last person she has left. Finding Jennifer Jones is the powerful sequel to the highly acclaimed, Carnegie Medal nominated Looking for JJ. It is a tense, emotional thriller about guilt, running away and wondering if you can ever truly know yourself.

*I received an ARC of this book from its publisher (Hot Key Books) in exchange for a 100% honest review, this in no way affected my review.*


After reading the blurb for Finding Jennifer Jones, I was immediately interested - having never read any other books by Anne Cassidy, I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the book and its contents. Being a "crime novel" (I think...) I expected a little more action and perhaps a more psychological edge, but all round the novel was quite normal, for its situation, and this worked well for the fact that it was from the perspective of a nineteen-year-old, Kate Rickman.


I found it really interesting when the question of whether Kate should have to spend the rest of her life being held accountable for something she did when she was ten was considered. The book definitely explored into the why's and so on of why JJ (Kate) killed Michelle Livingstone, and took a look at the long term effect her crime had taken on her present life.

Kate herself irritated me at times, I felt as though she wallowed a bit, other than that she was interesting character to read about, albeit a little on the plain side. My favorite part of the book without a doubt was when we get to see from the perspective of ten year old Kate; this leads me to believe that I might enjoy reading Looking for JJ more that its sequel.

The writing style itself was straightforward, factual, and didn't waste time with too much description, although there was enough to set the scene. At times I felt like there was no real atmosphere to the book which marks it down, but it wasn't exactly boring (trying not to give you the wrong impression here). Right, it wasn't boring, but I wasn't really in any rush to finish the book, annnnnd yet, I didn't put the book down, read it all in one sitting, yup... little confusing to make up my mind there... hmm...

The plot confused me slightly once I had finished reading, I didn't see any point in it and the ending was highly unsatisfactory. It had the feeling of something that had been building up slowly then... flop. Altogether I found the book well-written, not very memorable, but enjoyable. Yet, I can't get over the feeling that it seems an un-necessary sequel to Looking for JJ.

Rating = 3 Bookish Birds

1 comment:

  1. I've read this and thought it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.