Monday, 13 January 2014

New Years Resolutions (Bookish Version)

We are now in 2014, and this post is - obviously - a bit belated seeing as its the 13th but I made quite a few News Years Resolutions, and many of them are related to bookish themes, blogging, and the like, So, here are my main bookish New Years Resolutions:

1. Read and Review A Classic Each Month -
Unlike the stereotype I've heard often, and ashamedly believed in when I was younger, stating that classics are boring - I find them absolutely compelling reads, but I don't get to read them as often as I would like to, for various reasons, but now I want and am going to read and review a classic at the end of every month - this month's classic is 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Charles Dickens - which, for those of you who have read The Infernal Devices Trilogy (by Cassandra Clare), may ring a few bells.

2. Get More People To Read -
Ok, ok, wait, wait, wait, I didn't mean it as blatantly as the subtitle said, that wasn't meant to be a threat! Obviously, reading is a big part of my life and I find people who barely read, which I find shocking in a way because I have such love for book and novels - so, I've made it another one of my bookish resolutions to try and get more people interested in reading and by consequence buying books from bookshops instead of online shopping. I do get teary eyed thinking of a very close future world where there are no bookshops to walk into, one click and you have your book - it doesn't contain the excitement I regularly get when walking into a bookshop, it seems half the point of loving books disappears then.

3. Start Putting Up Videos On YouTube By Mid-January -
For quite a while I have been considering going another step and start to vlog about books and bookish matters as well - I watch quite a few book vloggers such as Whitty Novels, JesseTheReader, KatyTastic, and they're an inspiration to me in book blogging and vlogging. I set myself the period of mid-Jan to put up my first video, and regularly upload weekly from then. And very rightly so, my very first vlog will be up on Monday of next week, there you have it in writing Hawwa, just don't kill me when you see how rubbish it is. I'm really excited about this 'venture' and hope you'll all like the content I'm producing! If not... well, I did try, truly did try.

4. Write 3000 Words A Day -
I once got asked whether I loved writing as much as I love reading, and the answer is a big, fat YES. But like reading classics, as much as I love it, I can't do it as often as I would like to, so I decided to make a compromise with myself - 3000 words a day was something I could keep up, fairly easily, and I would be writing regularly then.

5. Set A Regular Posting Date & Stick To It -
Last but not least, I want to set a regular posting date and stick to it no matter what - after some deliberation I decided that a post every third day (instead of day in day out as I was trying to follow over the past month, which was increasingly harder with school work etc) e.g. Mon 13th, Thurs 16th, Sun 19th, is a period that is easier to work with. Also, because of this, I've made myself write all my posts (with exceptions of reviews) two - three weeks in advance so I'm neither disorganized or rushed!

Well, I think that's just about everything, but I just want to clarify that if I don't manage to keep these resolutions up, I'm not going to blame myself or anything like that. I think its enough that I've made these points as a commitment that I did/do mean to follow for as long as possible.

WHAT WERE YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS? 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm not sure if my first comment posted, but if it didn't? Here goes:

    OOH you're getting on YouTube! Muahahahahahaha, I'm going to watch all your posts. *coughs*

    I love what you're doing with the classics! I mean, why should we be restricted to modern books when older ones are good too? And I wish you much luck with writing 3000 words a day! I'm quite impressed. I consider it a good day if I get in 1000. I don't get much time to write, though. Good luck with all your goals and have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, no, the first one didn't post :L (well, the first time I tried to comment on this post in reply to you it didn't post either... silly blogger)

      *cough* the stalker is back, not judging you, just saying *cough*

      Thank-you, I completely agree! I'm experience major block though, so everything I'm writing is utter rubbish, which is really, really, frustrating, hoping I can work through it.

      Thanks, again, Awesomeness, you too!

      Delete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.