Sunday, 15 December 2013

A Chat with Rick Yancey

A couple of days ago I got the opportunity to ask Rick Yancey, author of The 5th Wave a couple of quick questions regarding his book, and here are his answers!

How did you come up with the different waves?
I began with the premise that the invaders would want to wipe us out without destroying the environment, using methods which are efficient and “low-impact.” The concept of hitting us in waves arose from the fact that there are 7 billion of us spread out over nearly every continent. That means you couldn't destroy humanity with a single strike.

Why did you decide to have the split point of view the way it is in the book?
I felt there were only two ways to tell a story this “big,” with an omniscient voice or through multiple narrators. I decided, for better or worse, that using the third person would distance the reader too much from the intensity of the action and the emotional lives of the characters.  

What do you think of the varying opinions the book seems to be getting? Quite a few friends view The 5th Wave as over-hyped, whereas others say it was a brilliant read. I'm getting a very marmite feeling here, you either love The 5th Wave, or you hate it. Your thoughts? 
Well, when I learned the publisher was really going to promote the heck out my book, what was I going to say? “No, no, no, don’t promote my book!” I suppose it’s inevitable when a producer of anything says something is the next best thing since sliced bread there’s going to be some pushback. The 5th Wave is epic but it is also incredibly intimate; like all my books, it comes from a personal space that reflects my own fears, anxieties, and all those other things important to me as a person. In that sense, the book, like all books, is a baby and not everyone will think your baby is the cutest thing on the planet. Since no two people are alike, I expect some people to hate the book, but I respect those who don’t like it based on its merits. The opinions that trouble me are those that seem to be based on something the publisher did (the so-called over-hyping) and not anything between the covers.

Thanks for talking to me Rick!
Hope you all enjoyed getting a little insight into The 5th Wave if you liked the book or not, and you'll get to hear my thoughts on The 5th Wave soon as I'm reviewing it in January.

A little more on The 5th Wave:

16101128After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: May 7th 2013
No. of Pages: 457 (Hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.