Thursday, 10 October 2013

Interview with Carmen Reid!

So, it been an unusually long time, like a couple of days, since my last post. But, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I've been loaded down with GCSE work recently as well as preparations for Halloween (YAY) which I definitely will be celebrating on the blog!! I'm participating in a blog tour, and will be posting on the 13th, plus the Halloween feature, will be running from the 17th to the 31st of October! So, plenty happening this month and next month! And I have reviews, interviews, and bookish posts scheduled, so that's all good! Don't forget, if you ever want to guest post at Book for Birds drop me an email and I'll sort something :)

Now moving on to the actual object of this post! I was privileged to get an interview with the lovely Carmen Reid author of Cross my Heart!

How do you get rid of things like writers block?
 I never really have writers' block, I always have loads of ideas and I have the discipline to just crack on and write them otherwise I know I will be all moody, grumpy and unfulfilled. 
Writing is quite like cycling, sometimes it's hideous and all uphill, but then there are pages, sometimes whole chapters when you just freewheel, grinning, as you rush down the hill. 


Was writing always something you wanted to do?
Yes. I have spent my lifetime writing, from scribbled diaries and short stories aged eight to long English essays, letters and lots of journalism before I sat down and began the first proper book. 


What would your advice be to aspiring writers?
Read, read, read, write, write, write. And repeat. I like to have a thorough plan for the story I'm writing, but that doesn't suit everyone. 


What are some recent books you have read?
 Just finished The Fault In Our Stars by John Greene (sob sob). Plus two Victoria Hislop novels, which I enjoyed very much. Planning to get stuck in to What should we tell our Daughters? by Melissa Benn.


What is the naughtiest thing you ever did in school?
I once 'broke up' with a friend. I should never have done that, I still feel terrible about it. I should just have explained 'I'm hanging out with these people some of the time, but I'll hang out with you too, don't worry. Be cool.' But she was a bit clingy and I didn't know how to deal with it. Still haunted, I tell you. She cried. It was awful. None of my other break ups in life ever went any better, it set a bad trend. 


If you were a tree what would you be and why?
 Love this question! My favourite is the hawthorn. Beautiful flowers, beautiful berries for the birds. It's the first to get leaves in the spring and it was traditionally used as farm hedging as it has such sharp thorns. 


What is your favorite part of the day and why?
The morning when the day is still so full of hope and promise and potential. 


What's your next project? (if you can tell me that)
Noooo! Top secret. I hate pitching ideas. You try to put your whole wonderful new book idea into a few sentences and people inevitably go: 'meh' or: 'I've read something just like that.'


Can you list five adjectives to describe yourself?
Tall, loving, giggly, idea-packed


Can you tell me a unique, or quirky habit of yours?
I'm slightly addicted to raw carrots. I limit myself to one or two a day though as I once actually turned myself orange with an overdose.


If you were to create a slogan for you life, what would it be?
 I'm going with Monty Python's: Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life


Favorite ice-cream flavour?
Oooh… hazelnut, but maybe with caramel… however a mango sorbet on a hot day is hard to beat. 

Carmen xx 

Thank-you for that Carmen! :) 

Happy Reading,

Fionnuala xx



1 comment:

  1. Great blog. And BTW, how did you get that widget on the left? I want one too. Check out my blog too: http://thepagesofhardwork.blogspot.in/
    And don't forget to leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.