Thursday, 27 June 2013

Lucky Star - Cathy Cassidy

One boy. One girl. Waiting for their chance to shine...

Mouse is doing his best to stay out of trouble.
Cat is doing her best to land herself in it.


They've both had it pretty though so when they meet by chance they thank their lucky stars. Weird and wonderful things happen when they're together - but how long can it last? Because everyone has their secrets - and there can only be one winner in a game of cat and mouse. Can't there?

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a few years and only read it a handful of times compared to all my other books, but when I picked it up to read and review the other day I realized why I still had it - its just one amazing book!

Mouse is a fourteen year old, living with his mum on the Eden Estate. Mouse is a street artist and when he gets busted for tagging a wall at school, that's where this whole adventure begins. He keeps all his bad memories tucked away neatly in boxes but when he meets Cat, a confident, cute, rich girl, things begin to slip out from his past.

I instantly liked Mouse because of how real Cathy made him and his surroundings, he felt like a person you could walk up to on the street some day. It wasn't to far fetched. I admit that most of the time that my hand was hovering over the book I thought it was a little childish but once you read it, you get sucked into it, and that's a great element in the book.

The book is a roller-coaster of drama, love, and 'glad-to-be-alive happiness', it made a great get-away from exam revision and getting to jump into someone else's world even if it wasn't real. And the fact is that when a book has these elements of 'realism' you keep turning pages, wanting to know what's going to happen next.

The book is suited for 9 - 13 year old's, but I'm sure older readers will enjoy it as well.  Some people don't go looking for trouble, but sometimes trouble finds them. If you're one of those people, you'll find more than a few things in common with Mouse!

Rating - 6/10

For more on Cathy Cassidy visit http://www.cathycassidy.com/

2 comments:

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.